WAPOR Asia 2020: Call for Papers
The outbreak of COVID-19 (Novel Coronavirus) is having a massive impact in our societies affecting public opinion researchers, media practitioners, scholars, educators and policymakers in general. Every institution is adversely affected as governments and institutions battled the invisible enemy.
WAPOR ASIA 2020 conference, initially scheduled in September, had to be postponed to Nov 9 and 10 because of COVID-19. We did not expect the pandemic to be massive and prolonged. Weighing all considerations, we have decided on a Virtual Conference to commit ourselves to organize the event despite the negative issue facing us. We wanted a forum to discuss common agendas confronting public opinion research by professionals, academics and interested parties. The media landscape, the political landscape, and people’s mindset have changed since 2000. The world will witness more changes beyond 2020. It is incumbent on all of us, therefore, to identify and address the issues.
WAPOR Asia, a young Chapter of WAPOR, had had two Conferences, the first in Taiwan in 2018 and New Delhi, India in 2019 where practitioners, academics and policymakers contributed to a greater understanding of issues facing public opinion in Asia. More discussions will be made at the Conference in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia in November (9 and 10), adding yet more than were made in previous years.
To achieve our objective, we are opening a call for abstracts devoted around these areas:
- Factors fostering the growth of public opinion
- Media, power and conflict
- Media, communication, technology
- Methods of research: Survey and content analysis
- Public opinion in the digital age
- Public opinion and health
- Ethics and standard of conduct
The Abstract Submission Deadline
Categories of Participation
Participation is of three categories. You can register for the Conference as a: Presenter (virtual video presentation), workshop participant, or as an attendee.
Participants making virtual presentations will record and submit them between Sept 16-30 for actual display on the day of the Conference.
A certificate, as a virtual presenter, will be released by Nov. 30, 2020.
Workshop participants will acquire knowledge from prominent scholars/practitioners in Public Opinion research. Participants will receive the Certificate of Workshop by Nov. 30, 2020.
Attendees (Non- Presenters)
Attendees and non- presenters will receive the Certificate of Attendance.
Payment Methods for WAPOR Asia 2020
Please adhere to the deadlines mentioned in the Dates of Importance.
All Presenters, Workshop Participants, and Attendees are required to register and pay their registration fee before the final registration deadline.
Available Payment Methods
There are two payment options available in WAPOR ASIA 2020. You can pay your registration fee through:
1. Online payment system (for Malaysian participants)
2. Onsite payment system (for International participants)
Before making the payment for the Conference using any of the above methods, please register online and select your registration fee.
You can pay your registration fee through a bank transfer as per given information below,
Online transfer to Bank Muamalat
Account no. = 1407-0000004-716
Account name = UIAM OPERATING ACCOUNT
Remark = Conference name & name of participant
You can pay your registration fee using credit cards as per given information below:
The participant can use this link to proceed the payment >>> https://payment.flywire.com/pay/payment.
No Show & Refund Policy
If any participant has confirmed his/her participation to the organizing committee and has paid the participation fee but is unable to be present at the Conference WITHOUT notification, then it will not eligible for any refund.
To avoid this situation, the participant should inform the organizer of no less than 20 DAYS before the conference date of his/her wish to WITHDRAW from the Conference.
In that given scenario, 75% of the fee paid will be refunded by the Conference organizer within 30 days after the Conference.
Terms & Conditions
Terms & Conditions
- The Conference is organized and hosted by the Department of Communication, International Islamic University Malaysia, in collaboration with the World Association for Public Opinion Research (WAPOR) Asia.
- You acknowledge and accept that we have the right to announce our business relationship with you, which shall include, but not be limited, to announcements on social media. Such reports shall not be disparaging or otherwise adverse to your business.
- Complete registration is full payment made before the Conference.
Cancellation and Substitution Policy
- Suppose you are unable to attend the Conference. In that case, we welcome substitute delegates attending in your place at no extra cost provided that we have at least 20 days prior notice of the name of your proposed substitute and have received payment in full.
- Registrations that are cancelled 20 days before the event are eligible to a refund of 75% on the registration fee.
- If you cancel in less than 20 days before the Conference, you will not be eligible for any refund.
- The participants should bear the bank charges incurred while refunding the registration fee.
- The discounted registration fees are non-refundable.
Consent to use photographic, video, and audio recordings
During the event, WAPOR ASIA 2020 official photographers will be taking photographs, recording video or making audio recordings to maintain records. The pictures, videos, and sound recordings will be used for Conference-related activities including in the promotional material, in both print and electronic format, via the Internet, WAPOR and WAPOR ASIA websites and social media to publicize our Conference. In no way will they be used for commercial purposes.
Any redistribution, reproduction of part or all of the contents in any form is prohibited other than the following:
- You may copy the content to individual third parties for their personal use, but only if you acknowledge the website as the source of the material.
- You may not, except with our expressed written permission, to distribute or commercially exploit the content, nor may you transmit or store it in any other website or other form of electronic retrieval system.
- Participants will be responsible for any copyright issues made during their presentation.
Except as permitted by the copyright law applicable to you, you may not reproduce or communicate any of the content on this website, including files downloadable from this website, without the permission of the copyright owner. The owners of copyright in the content on this website may seek compensation for the use of their content by any party or entity without prior approval in writing from WAPOR ASIA KUALA LUMPUR 2020.